Publishing with Masthof Press
Thank you for your interest in publishing with Masthof! We are excited to review your manuscript and are always looking for new and seasoned authors. Please review which publishing avenue you would like to explore and submit your information (see the differences between "Traditional Publishing" and "Self-Publishing" below). Please download the MASTHOF PUBLISHING APPLICATION to begin the process.
Traditional vs Self-Publishing
In traditional book publishing, the author essentially sells their work to the publisher. The publisher assumes all responsibilities of designing, printing and distributing the books. The author still gets a say in the design, but the publisher is in charge. When sales are made, the author will receive royalties of about 5-10% of all books sold.
PUBLISH A BOOK - TRADITIONAL APPROACH:
- Author completes manuscript.
- Author submits the PUBLISHING APPLICATION to Masthof and if accepted will be contacted with a contract. If we choose not to accept, the author is free to explore self-publishing.
AUTHOR RESPONSIBILITIES WITH TRADITIONAL PUBLISHING:
- Assist in promoting the book through events, personal social media, professional contacts, etc.
- Author purchases books from Publisher at a 40% discount.
HOW TO SELF-PUBLISH A BOOK
When self-publishing a book, the author has the financial responsibility and complete control in developing their book. The author has full say in design, layout, editing and distribution. Masthof will assist as a service for printing and will advise in areas requested concerning editing, design and distribution. Self-publishing has become more popular in the last few decades with the development of digital printing making short runs more affordable.
STEPS TOWARDS SELF-PUBLISHING:
- Author completes manuscript.
- Author contacts Masthof for quote.
- Author pays deposit of 50%.
- Masthof will oversee any requested editing, layout and design.
- Author will suggest changes and give final approval.
- Masthof will print (minimum of 100 books).
- Upon receipt of the final books, the author is expected to pay their invoice in full.
- Author is now in complete control of sales and distribution.
- Author assumes all financial investment with design, printing and distribution.
- Author assumes all marketing activities.
- Author pays for initial printing and any future reprints.
|Masthof has ownership of title.||Author has ownership of title.|
|Masthof has final say in all editing, layout and design.||Author has final say in all editing,
layout and design.
Masthof chooses sale price.
Author chooses sale price.
|Masthof pays printing costs.||Author pays printing costs.|
|Masthof sells books and pays author royalties; author receives 40% discount on all books they purchase.
||Author sells books.|
Masthof handles marketing
Author handles marketing
|Masthof reprints as needed.||Author pays to reprint books.|
BOOK PUBLISHING AND MARKETING
Please note if your manuscript is not chosen for traditional publishing, that does not devalue the quality of your work. We evaluate each proposal with regards to our suitability to maximize an author's success.
If Masthof publishes your book, you will have a minimal set up fee and receive a 5-10% royalty of all book sales. For the books that Masthof publishes, your title would be advertised to our email list and mailing list of over 7,000 people and book buyers. Your book would be listed on Amazon.com and Masthof.com. We will also work with you sending review copies to relevant parties.
For more information, please download our Publishing Information Booklet.